Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAbout1963-10-24 Train Stop Brought Hum Of Business To Park Avenue (Sun Progress Edition)TRAIN STOP BROUGHT HUM OF BUSINESS TO PARK AVENUE y � C' Trust Co. rr 1i s Paca esrs Ga, (nti ch Us Grow SUN Progress Edition - October 24, 1963 - Left, this elaborate new bank was the first such commercial building to arrive in Kel- sey City (Lake Park) back in 1923. Here, some officials including Charles Branch and Max Winer are seen in front of the structure which was demolished a short time later by a hurricane. Old Park Avenue in Kelsey City days, circa 1925, appeared this way to a person standing on the railroad tracks facing eastward. On the left of the photo some busi- ness establishments have been identified as Western Union office, Kelsey City Mer- cantile Co., owned by A. A. Poston; the Blue Goose Cafe, the Buick agency, Miss Falconer's Coffee Shop, a barber shop, a real estate offic and a bank. On the right or south side of the street, there is a drug store with overhead apartments at the site now occupied by Tommy James' Park Avenue Bar, the old post office building which still stands, and about three blocks east, the old arcade building which was the first theater in Palm Beach County. This old photo is from the collection of A. A. Poston. - SUN Progress Edition - October 24, 1963 OArEf T' pr It iDS BIRD F kR.,1 ND Beginning way back in 1922 Lake Park was then Kelsey City and was adver- tised as the first "Zoned City" in the United States. Those double pillars up on Old Dixie just past Kelsey City Nurseries were erect- ed by Harry S. Kelsey, city founder. A sign connecting the posts reads, "W e lcome Kelsey City, Gateway to the World's Winter Play- ground." Talking to Mel Blakely, we found that she and her husband S. J. Blakely were friends of Harry Kelsey back in Egypt, Mass. In 1922 when Kelsey ran into difficulties getting a nur- sery started, he pleaded with the Blakely's to come down and assist him 'for a while'. It is now 40 years later, and the Blakely's still own and operate Kel- sey City Nursery. Kelsey Park, which runs over 600 feet along U.S.#1 and through to the Lake, was landscaped free of charge by the Blakely's in the early 1920's. Many of the trees were brought from Munyon's Island by flat boat. As there were no cranes, it was all hand labor. In 1924 when all the brid- ges belowJacksonville were washed out, call cars came to Lake Park by flat boat. They docked at the foot of Kelsey Park where there was a large pier. Originally a large foun- tain, arbors planted with allamanda, a stone pagoda, and terraced stone steps graced the park. Masses of roses near the lake pro- duced birthday bouquets. At the Southwest corner of Park and Dixie was the town Club House, and where Town Hall now stands, pine- apples grew. At about 5th St. and Flagler was a large playground, which was lat- er improved by the WPA with sanitary facilities. Behind Food Fair was a golf course, as the plan called for two 18-hole golf courses. On 8th and Cypress and on 8th and Flagler, two blocks were set aside for `school or other purposes'. Also 3rd and Cypress, Flagler and 4th, and•Flag- ler and 5th had a block set aside for school and other purposes. (4th and Flagler was to be a High School.) There was to be a ball park on 6th St. and Kelsey Park on the Lake. Thus the town had ded- icated seven parks or school areas, with an ex- tra whole block for Town Hall, and the golf course. Summer in Kelsey City often consisted of `sewing bees' for the girls and cake cooling contests for the boys. Many parades were held in the winter with everyone decorating their own car. These parades were well attended by the people brought to town to view lots and staying up on the hill, where there was a dining room on present site of the Nursery. Early industrial plants included Kelsey City Brick and Tile Co., The Royal Palm Rubber Co.(now Gol- latscheck's Service Sta- tion), and Drake Lumber Company. We are indebted to Mrs. S. J. Blakely for her photos taken in 1923 to 1927. The 1928 hurricane made short work of the old Earman Rivier bridge on the Old Dixie Highway. Docks at Kelsey Park, 1924. Bridges washed out along U. S. #1, cars had to come from Jacksonville by flat car. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel J. Blakely, early settlers of Kel- sey City, now Lake Park, are seen in 1925 with one of the first shipments of cacti to arrive in this section from Texas. The Blakelys later became owners of well- known Kelsey City Nurseries. a H H K