Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAbout1981 1960s are boom times for NPB196 's are boom for N.P.B. The Transition Period Normally, a very sensitive gap exists between the ownership of a developer and the sale to the public, but this one ran very smoothly. This was largely due to the honorable performance of the Ross group and their ability to pick excellent men for key jobs. While they controlled the Council, in the absence of resi- dents, their actions were invariably right and in the best. interests of the future home owners. As the months passed, Jack Schwencke, handling sales to builders and individuals, saw to it that agreements were kept and relationships were harmonious. A great deal of responsibility fell on the shoulders of Al Olson, the Village Manager. In the beginning, he wore several hats: Village Clerk, Village Tax Assessor, and Village Tax Collector. Until the Village Hall was completed, he had a desk in a small room upstairs in the Winter Club. One of the first things he had to do was set up a tax roll. This was fairly simple on the surface, as there were only two taxpayers; North Palm Beach Properties(the Ross operating enti ) andP ty John MacArthur. There was one other, however, that turned up in the person of a French Duke who owned Little Munyon Island. It seems that he had inherited the.islandand had never seen it. When Olson sent hire a tax bill, a very polite letter came back from a Southern France with a check for the taxes due $23.00. The School The developers donated 10 acres of land to the Palm Beach County Board of Education for the erec- tion of a $294,000 elementary school. According to the Post Times, "Developers of North Palm Beach have been congratulated by county officials as well as parents in the entire area for the generosity and fore- sight which prompted them to donate 10 acres of the most valuable land for school purposes." This school opened for classes September 1958 and the first Principal was Marian Metcalf. f1�c.� iRP�j! imes Recreation The Village Marina was completed in December 1957. This is located on the North Palm Beach water- way in rear of the water tower and consists of a concrete boat -launching ramp, an electric hoist capable of handling boats up to 20 feet in length, and a large dry -storage area, fenced in. There is wet dockage for 30 boats. Nominal charges are made for g, both wet and dry storage, and keys are available for the hoist. The shuffle -board courts were completed in 1961. These ar e located next to the library and have turned out to be very- popular. The privately owned North Palm Beach Marina, created by the Rosses, is located east of the country club on the Intracoastal Waterway. This is a large installation, capable of handling yachts, has 68 con- cretep 63 slips and an office building. Completed in 19 , it is considered one of the finer marinas in Florida. Director Russell Ruskay says that as of January 1981 the village has the following recreational facilities: 14 tennis courts • 2 paddle ball courts 3 volley ball courts 5 outdoor basketball courts 6 ball diamonds 6 racquet ball courts 3 tot lots This is, of course, in addition to the 18-hole golf course. The Library in 1968, a revenue bond issue was arranged in the amount of $325,000. $200,000 of this amount plus another $100,000 from the government created the library. The other $125,000 provided for two additions to the village hall. The bond issue was secured by utility franchise revenues and was purchased in its entirety by the First American Bank. Mayor Lewis and Village Clerk Dolores Walker had to sign 325 bond certificates. The interest rate was 5 1/8%. and, the final payment will be made in 1986. The Village Hall What is called one of the most attractive town halls in Florida was completed in 1957. For a time, it was jointly North Palm Beach Properties, Inc., used by and the small village government. In 1958 it was to the village at the developers'actual turned over g cons truction cost, together with the land which was P appraised by two independent realtors. The total price was $206,213. This was financed by a munici- pal bond, the final payment on which was made in January ofyear, this 1981. Two additions to the buildingwere made in 1969. On the north end, a wing containing offices and council chamber was built and another on the south end containing a p police complex and a two -bay fire station. The Parks In 1961, what is now Osborn Park was a sandy lot with a tall television tower in its center owned by p Channel 5. The company had plans to build a new on e in another location, and upon learning this the and the result was that this large desir- ablewasurchased at a very nominal p council acted, figure and g lot gradually developed into a sports center. g y Anchorage Park was do- natedThe land which became g as to the village by the Rosses at the same time g the marina, 1957. located at e Park,the entrance to which hich is theeasterly is a strip end of Lighthouse Drive, ofn shaded lawn running south along Lake Worth to • It is certainlyone of the prettiest spots Atlantic Road. in Florida. The Post ice Ground was broken on February 27,1964, and the building was completed later that year. Political When North Palm Beach became a legal village, there were no residents, and in the absence of any voters a village council was appointed by the devel- opers. The law called for the first election to be held in March of 1959, three years after the village received its charter. Two elected candidates would replace two of the appointed members. The first two elected councilmen were Walter Thomas and William Young. The next year, three new members were elected, thus filling out a completely elected council of five members. These three eThe Mayorsello, a e Frank J. Hahn and Emery Newell elected by the council, and the following served in that capacity over the years: 1956 and 1 �57 Charles Cunningham 1958 Richard E. Ross 1959 Jay H. White Walter E. Thomas 1960 and 1961 Warren B. Tatoul 1962 and 1963 Harold Beery 1964 Thomas F. Lewis 1965 thru 1971 H. Mallory Privet Jr. 1972 and 1973 Walter N. Colbath Jr. 1974 M.C. Love Jr. 1975 and 9/76 to 3/78 Ronald L. Heraty 3/16/76 to 6.24/76 Al Moore 3/23/78 to 3/22/79 W.H. Brown 3/22/79 to 3/27/80 V.A. Marks, M.D. 3/27/80 to 111 I . valor,. IdoCQrte Comm w R! , Center • 41 1 Kr-AT/I.," Artist's rendition of the planned $600,000 Delacorte center to be constructed on Prosperity Farms Rd. The Country Club After the Rosses bought the North Palm Beach land area in 1956, extensive improvements were made in the 18-hole golf course. Several new holes were created, fairways widened, and greens rebuilt. The result was a more playable course. The old Winter Club was refurbished, kitchen equipment installed, and meals served. In late 1959, informal talks between the owners and the village council indicateda possible ossible sale of the entire property, and the given village the first refusal in that event. in January1961, notice was given of the intention to to make a studyof sell, and the village was given time the question. The council spent considerable time investigating the advisabilityof purchasing the property and was .. . assisted by a seven -member citizen committee ap- pointed bythe North Palm Beach Civic Association. It was decided to hire the Charles M. Graves organiza- tion of Atlanta to prepare a feasibility study, a plan of P P development, and a schedule of anticipated income and operation costs. This was done, and it was unanimously decided that the village should go ahead and develop the area into a recreation center. $1,015,000 was set as the price for the existing country club of 145 acres plus all buildings, golf carts, sprinkler systems, trucks, equipment, and including attorneys' fees, bonds, and marketing expense. An additional $415,000 covered the swim- ming pool, dressing, shower and clothes check building,golf shop, locker rooms, dining room facili- ties P � a total and an expanded parking area. This made o, f $1 430 000. The council took great pains to in- form the residents at each step of the process; all questions were answered. The next step was to put it up to the people. A special referendum election was called for July 25th to determine the matter of issuing $1 430,000 of general obligation bonds to purchase and develop the North Palm Beach Country Club. The result was 601 FOR and 80 AGAINST. The bond issue was duly validated by the Circuit Court of Palm Beach Countyand the Supreme Court of Florida. The bonds were sold at an interest rate of 4.07335 per cent and the last payment will be made in 1988. Puttinga value on the property today in 1981 would indeed be a classic exercise for a team of appraisers. The pleasure for generations of old and young is beyond estimation. Acc.0 re0/9z1 The Delacorte Building In April of 1980, a very nice thing happened to the Village of North Palm Beach. Mr. George Delacorte, publisher of Dell Books, offered to fund a general- purpose recreation center in the amount of $600000. The only conditions attached to the gift were that the building be named the Delacorte Building after Valerie Delacorte and that no fee ever be levied for the use of the building. The Village Council happily accepted this offer and proceeded to retain the architectural firm of Yeches and Luchner to go ahead with plans. Also, an option has been taken on 10 acres of land along the east side of Prosperity Farms Road. The building would have a stage with seats for 800, plus facilities for basketball. Delacorte's fine gesture will go far in rouhding out the recreational and cultural aspects of the village and give an added reason for celebrating our 25th anniversary. Landmarks THE TWIN CITY MALL In 1957,North Palm Beach Properties sold 40 acres to Food Fair Properties, Inc., and the market now called Pantry Pride was built early in 1958. This was followed by the J.M. Fields store, now known as Jefferson's. The mall and Sears construction came alongin Mayof 1971. As the land for the Sears building was being cleared, the bulldozer flushed a familyof foxes, last seen racing in a westerly direc- tion. As the building neared completion, letion, bystanders standers watched a helicopter lift the air-conditioning units